Parent lookup with filter

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:17 PM
Edited Jan 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM
I need to combine the two features you have in your project but can't get it to work. 

I have two lists: Courses and Sessions. 

The courses list is a pages library that contains one page for every course offered.  The "Title" field contains the display name of the course.  The "description" field contains the course ID number (i.e. SKLOF101).  This list may contain pages that are not course pages.  So, an additional boolean field called "Class Page" was added.  All class pages have this field set to True.

The Sessions list is actually a calendar with an additional CourseID field.  Every time we're going to offer one of the classes, we put a calendar item on the calendar and set the CourseID field equal to the Course ID (SKLOF101).  The page shows a filtered view of the calendar showing all the upcoming sessions of the class based on the CourseID.  It displays other information, such as useful links, documents, instructor details, agendas, etc.  This works fine as is now.

We're trying to set up a system that will allow users to sign up for the classes.  So, i created a new list and built fields that identify the attendee as the person who created the record.  We gave everyone access to create items in this list.  We also put in capabilities for an administrator to be able to create an item yet identify someone else as the attendee (instead of the "Created By" field). 

What i want to do allow users to pick a course, then pick from the available future sessions of that course.  I thought i would need to have a filtered parent drop down box that will display the "Title" field from the Courses library for all pages where "Class Page" is True.  I then want a child drop down box to look up all future sessions (i.e. start time > currentdatetime) where the CourseID matches the CourseID stored in the filtered parent drop down box. 

How would i accomplish this?  I tried setting up another list that i could populate the parent drop down box with that wouldn't require a filter, but that would require maintaining the Courses list and this new list.  This also wouldn't filter the sessions to only show future sessions.  I don't want users signing up to attend past sessions.

Any ideas?  Is there a drop down box that can show only filtered items?
Jan 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM
bump.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2009 at 5:32 PM
Hey,
I am saying same thing to you what i say to almost all users. YOUR REQUIREMENT IS YOUR REQUIRMENT. If the control i made does'nt fit yours, simple, go ahead and create one. You cannot desperately try and fit something to suffice some other function....Can you??. Pick a developer and tell him to make a control that fits your requirement. You have a little base level code available for you right away through this project. What more you want??